Monday, April 26, 2010

Another Spring, Another Season!!

The Mariner’s 2010 season is upon us!!! The M’s started the season on the road, so this year’s Home Opener was a little later. On Monday, April 12th, Mike and I headed up to Safeco Field. Mom always got after me for not getting pictures of me and those who came with me. Last season I was very good about getting the pictures, but I have already started this season off bad. I ended up not getting a picture of Mike and I. It was Mike’s first time attending a Home Opener, but I realized it was already my 9th Home Opener (this is our 9th season for our tickets too). I do have to say that this was the first year that we had issues with parking, even though we got up there about 2 hours before game time. I think everyone was coming to see Randy Johnson pitch! :-) I had to exchange some tickets too, so we ended up getting into our seats at 2:58 pm and the Pregame Ceremony was supposed to start at 3 pm. It ended up getting kicked off at 3:10 pm. A local band called “Death Cab for Cutie” started the show. I really hadn’t heard of them before, but Mike knew who they were:



After the band finished, they started the introductions of the Oakland A’s and then the M’s. Here’s the trainers, coaches, and other staff members:



Then the players were introduced as they ran down the red carpet from right field. Ichiro:



Griffey:



Before the National Anthem, we had a moment of silence for the 6 police officers that have been killed in the line of duty this winter in Seattle and Lakewood:





The big flag was held by police officers from Seattle, Lakewood, and Pierce County (I think those were the only ones):



Ichiro being given some of his awards from last season:



Every year the Mariners honor a young kid with health issues, by allowing them to run around the bases and be met at home plate by some big league ballplayers. This year, the young boy got an awesome welcome by Griffey, Felix Hernandez, and Chone Figgins:





Now for the man that we were waiting to see!!! Randy Johnson came out of centerfield and took the long walk to the pitcher’s mound:



Warming up:



Rumor had it that Dan Wilson would be there to catch for him and that Griffey may even come up to “Bat.” At least one was true:





You can’t have the two of them out on the field without some of their old teammates:





Jay Buhner, Dan Wilson (mostly hidden), Randy Johnson, Edgar Martinez, and Ken Griffey, Jr:





Then we finally started the game with Ryan Rowland-Smith pitching:



We are still sitting behind home plate, so I still have to contend with the net that causes issues with my auto focus camera. Here’s some of my best game shots. Ichiro:



Griffey:





I love these next two shots of Griffey. The ball went towards our right:





The Moose:



I had to take a lot of pics of Griffey, since we don’t know if this is his last season. Here’s two more of him:





The final score:



We were so bummed by the final score, but otherwise it was a great day!

If you read this blog and you know me, contact me if you want to go to any games (with or without me)!!

No comments: